Taking over the world, one apron at a time...

9/19/11

Something Borrowed, Something New

Pop Art Sweetheart Bib Apron
(say that three times fast)

Lately I have been thinking about pairs.  What goes together.  How one part of a pair compliments or influences it's counterpart.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, wearing an apron while you cook marries a fun homemaking experience AND it makes your food taste better.  In the last year or so I have been in the kitchen a lot more, inspired by my friend and housemate FForFood.  In the last week I  have also been in the studio more, sewing and musing about good couples.  People with people, fabric with fabric, food with wine, peanut butter with chocolate...  And so, I created a pop art inspired bib apron with a sweetheart neckline and complimented it with black and white polka dot fabric inside the pockets and on the reverse side of the apron.  The Pop Art Sweetheart Bib Apron is 50's-esque and when I tied it on suddenly I was craving a deviled egg.  I sprung into action, I borrowed a recipe from FForFood and put a new spin on it, replacing the pickle relish with my favorite hot pepper relish from Blackie's Hot Dogs in Cheshire Connecticut.  I boiled, I peeled, I whipped and I filled, and I got my deviled egg.
The Pop Art Apron and the deviled eggs went well together. As for my friend and I, we make a pretty good pair too.

Over Stuffed Deviled Eggs with Blackie's Hot Pepper Relish  

Ingredients:

Maggie Mae Pop Art Sweetheart Bib Apron 


16 eggs (4 extra eggs for yolks only)
1/3 cup Dukes mayonnaise
1 tbs unfiltered apple cider vinegar
3 tbs Blackies hot pepper relish (minced until you create a paste consistency)
2 1/2 tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp sage honey
dash of cayenne pepper
Hungarian Paprika
pink himalayan salt
freshly ground pepper

you can always improvise if these ingredients aren't readily available in your cupboard
but I highly recommend the Dukes mayonnaise and Blackie's relish 


Place the eggs in a large pot and fill with water until all of the eggs are covered. Boil eggs for 10 minutes and then remove from heat.  Run the eggs under cold water immediately and then let them rest for 10 more minutes. 

Next in a separate bowl mix mayonnaise, relish, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and honey.
When the eggs are cool enough to touch fill the pot with more cold water and begin peeling. I generally have trouble in this area as the peeling part can be tricky. Peeling them while they are submerged in cool water helps.
Dry the peeled eggs and begin slice them in half length wise. Carefully remove the yolks and add them to the bowl with the other ingredients.  When you've extracted all of the yolks set aside 24 of the best looking egg whites (salt and pepper any remaining egg whites and pass them out to the onlookers that have collected in your kitchen, after all you are so adorable in your Maggie Mae Apron..). 
Grab a fork and mash together the yolks with the mayonnaise and relish mixture. Whip until smooth. Add salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne to taste. Sprinkle eggs with paprika and then fill each egg with a generous spoonful of  the yolk mixture. Add a touch more paprika to garnish!

Overstuffed Deviled Eggs 



No comments:

Post a Comment